I need to get my makeup collection under control. Although I didn’t start really getting into makeup until my late 20s, in the last 5 years or so it’s gotten out of hand. I have too much and need to be smarter about what I buy. So, I decided to embark on a project to catalog my collection, then work on a plan to get it under control. I feel like writing about it here will help keep me accountable.
My plan is to first go through and take an inventory of everything I have in each different category (cleansers, mascaras, etc) and then decide what a manageable number of products is for that category. THEN, I need to work through products until I reach the goal number for each category. Some of these will be really easy and I can get them done before the end of the year. Others will take years. But if I can at least put a plan in place I will feel less overwhelmed.
SO, here it is…my makeup/skincare collection. I tried to group the products and then go in order of how I would use them in the morning:
I’ve basically used Cetaphil (or the generic version) my whole life. I have normal/dry skin and have had a couple of bouts of acne in my life that required me to go on Retin-A. Anyone who’s ever been on Retin-A can tell you that it can make your skin dry and sensitive (it almost completely cleared up my acne though, so it was worth it). So Cetaphil has been a go-to of mine for 15 years. Within the last year or so I got a Clarisonic and stopped using Retin-A (I may get back on soon, this time to combat aging and the occasional hormonal breakout I get). So I am looking to try out different cleansers. As you can see, I don’t have an overload of cleansers in my stash, but I’d like to get rid of some of these samples. I was a Birchbox subscriber for 2 years and had a bad habit of stashing away samples instead of using them. Also, I’m excited to try these cleansers out! Maybe I will find one I like more than my beloved Cetaphil.
Total count: 12 (1 full size, 4 deluxe samples and 7 samples)
- Generic Cetaphil full sized (16 oz). I’ve had this one for about 8 months and there’s probably 1/8 left
- Clarisonic Hydro Cleanser deluxe sample (1 oz). This came with my Clarisonic and I just started using it a couple weeks ago. There is probably 25% left.
- Clarisonic Refreshing gel cleanser deluxe sample (1 oz). I haven’t used this at all yet.
- Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser deluxe sample (1 oz). This came in a Birchbox over a year ago and I’ve never used it.
- First Aid Beauty Deep Cleanser with Red Clay deluxe sample (1 oz). Never used
- SK-II Facial Treatment Cleanser sample (.1 oz). Got this as a Sephora VIB giveaway and never used it. This brand is supposed to be amazing.
- Fresh Soy Face Cleanser sample (.13 oz). I’ve used other samples of this product before and love it.
- Elizabeth Arden Skin Balancing Exfoliating Cleanser sample (.1 oz)
- First Aid Beauty Face Cleanser sample (.06 oz)
- Jack Black Deep Dive Glycolic Facial Cleanser sample (.07 oz)
- Eve Lom Cleanser sample (.16 oz)
- Omorovicza Thermal Cleansing Balm sample (.07 oz)
This stash should be fairly easy to get through. I think having 1-2 full sized cleansers and 1-2 samples at any given time is manageable. I need to really think hard about buying any full sized products in this category though. My 16 oz Cetaphil usually lasts me a year, so I better love anything I will need to use that much!
Goal: 2-3 cleansers
I like masks and exfoliators, but am not always in the habit of using them. Also, when I was on Retin-A, I had to be careful of what type of mask I used and couldn’t use exfoliators at all. Retin-A is basically a low-grade chemical peel, so there’s no need to exfoliate as the Retin-A is exfoliating for you on a daily basis. Using Exfoliakate, for example, would’ve left my skin raw and irritated. But now that I’m off Retin-A, I need to exfoliate. And now that aging is starting to become an issue (I’m almost 35), I should really get more disciplined about using masks.
Total Count: 10 (9 deluxe samples, 1 sample)
- Kate Sommerville Exfolikate deluxe sample (.5 oz). I recently started using this 2x/week and I love it. It is probably 2/3 finished
- Kate Sommerville Exfolikate sample (.25 oz). Will use this when my bigger sample is gone
- Boscia Bright White Mask deluxe sample (.7 oz). I love this mask! It is probably half full
- Boscia Luminizing Black Mask deluxe sample x 2 (.7 oz). I also love this mask. 1 of the bottles is full and the other is about 1/3 full.
- Glam Glow Supermud Clearing Treatment deluxe sample (.3 oz). THIS MASK IS AMAZING! But realllllllllllly expensive to buy a full sized. There is probably 1 use left in this sample 😦
- Peter Thomas Roth Firm Peeling Gel deluxe sample (.5 oz). I have used this a couple times and it was okay. It was kind of a pain to get off if I remember correctly.
- Visanti BrightenUp! Enzymatic Face Rejuvinator deluxe sample (.7 oz). I’ve never used this
- Origins Clear Improvement Mask deluxe sample (.5 oz). I just got this as a Sephora giveaway.
- Radical Skincare Age Defying Exfoliating Pads (15 pads). I’ve never used these and honestly don’t even remember where I got them…
This is another fairly manageable part of my collection. I should be able to get through all of this by the end of the year. I just haven’t been as diligent about using them in the past. Having 2-3 masks/exfoliators in my stash is what I’m aiming for: 1-2 full sized and 1-2 samples.
Goal: 2-3 masks/exfoliators
Alright, I’m going to stop there for now. Up next….moisturizers and sunscreens!