Alrighty. All 3 people who read my blog are eagerly anticipating my moisturizers and sunscreens collection. I split these up into 2 categories:
- Things I use during the day- sunscreens and moisturizers with SPF
- Products I use at night- serums, eye creams, night creams….although I do use my serum during the day under my sunscreen. I’m a rebel like that.
So just like with cleansers, Cetaphil moisturizer has been my go-to since time began. It is so damn cheap and works so well. During my college and grad school years I barely had enough money for food and beer, so I truly couldn’t have gotten by without it. My issue with it now is that it doesn’t have SPF, at least the ones I’ve used. I know Ulta sells smaller bottles with SPF and I’m 99% sure I’m going to pick one of those up eventually. But as you can see below, I HAVE SO MUCH SUNSCREEN! It’s my own fault. I buy the Sephora Sun Safety Kit every year and then stick to using my Cetaphil everyday. I definitely use foundations with SPF, but I’m worried that is not enough and I need it in my moisturizer as well. Skin cancer is no joke. It runs in my family and my grandfather actually died from it. Living in a place with nearly 365 days of sun a year, I need to get my act together. As a side benefit, diligently wearing sunscreen keeps me from looking 20 years older than I am (I think). Once I’ve used most of these samples up, I can decide which product deserves a full-sized purchase.
Total Count: 22 (2 full size, 15 deluxe samples and 5 samples)
- Cetaphil Daily Advance Lotion full size (16 oz). I’ve had this for at least a year and it is about 1/8 full
- Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream sample (.13 oz). Note: This isn’t in the picture, because it was hiding in a drawer
- Supergoop! City Sunscreen Serum deluxe sample (.34 oz) x 2. I think this came in a Sephora Sun Safety Kit. I haven’t used it but I love my Supergoop! Everyday Sunscreen that I use it on my arms and chest every single day. My commute is 45 mins each way and the sun exposure adds up!
- Josie Maran Argan Daily Moisture SPF 47 deluxe sample (.5 oz). This has been in the Sephora Sun Safety Kit two times. I used the other one (yay!) and liked it.
- Ole Henrikson Protect the Truth SPF 50 deluxe sample (.5 oz)
- Coola Classic Sunscreen deluxe sample (.23 oz)
- Dr. Dennis Gross Dark Spot Sun Defense deluxe sample (.25 oz)
- Korres Yoghurt Nourishing Fluid Veil Face Sunscreen deluxe sample (.4 oz)
- Murad Invisiblur Perfecting Shield deluxe sample (.17 oz)
- Murad Daily Moisture Charge SPF 30 sample (.13 oz)
- Supergoop! Advanced Antiaging Eye Cream SPF 37 Sunscreen sample (.07 oz)
- Murad Oil Control Mattifier SPF 15 deluxe sample (.33 oz) I have normal/dry skin so I rarely have a need for this. I will need to remember to pull it out this summer when I go to the beach. I get a slight bit of oil in my t-zone then
- Sephora Age Defying Moisture Cream SPF 15 sample (.169 oz). I pulled this out last week to start using in the morning and love it! There is probably only 1-2 more applications left 😦
- Peter Thomas Roth Max Sheer All Day Defense Lotion deluxe sample (.5 oz). I just finished my last deluxe sample of this product while on a 2 week business trip. I liked it, but it was a little greasy.
- Boscia Daily Defense Sunscreen SPF 50 full size (1.7 oz). I’ve used this when I travel and like it. It isn’t great to travel with though as the cap comes off constantly.
- Origins VitaZing SPF 15 deluxe sample (.5 oz) x 2.
- Vita Liberata Passion Flower and Argan Dry Oil SPF 50 deluxe sample (.34 oz). This came in the Sephora Sun Safety Kit this year. I haven’t used it yet but it sounds interesting and I’ve definitely never used anything like it before.
- Clarins Multi-Protection SPF 50 deluxe sample (.3 oz)
- Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Cream deluxe sample (the size isn’t on the bottle, but it looks about .5 oz)
- Amore Pacific Natural Protector SPF 30 sample (.1 oz)
Holy crap you guys, I can’t believe I have this much! I know most of these are small, but how did I accumulate this many?? Anyway, I really don’t think I need more than 1 daily moisturizer with SPF and 1 stronger sunscreen for days when I know I will be outside a lot. Keep in mind, I have a separate sunscreen that I use on my body everyday and a couple of bottles to take with me to the beach or other outside days. So this is just a moisturizer/sunscreen for my face. I am not going to lie, I’m a little overwhelmed. I have a lot of stuff to get through! By the time I get through my stash, I will pretty much have tried every brand on the market and can make a decision on what I want to use on a regular basis.
Goal: 2 daily moisturizers/sunscreens
Until very recently, my night time moisturizing routine consisted of slapping on my Retin-A. I didn’t use a serum (during the day or night) or eye cream. Maybe I’m seeing things, but I’m starting to be concerned with signs of aging. Side note: when the hell did that happen? I am almost 35 and still getting acne. Apparently my skin is going to give me no time between the acne and wrinkle years and in fact there will be overlapping years. Sigh. Anyway, now that I’m off Retin-A and worried about wrinkles, I need to determine which serum/night cream I want to use and also which eye cream. I’ve developed a decent stock of these thanks to Birchbox and Sephora giveaways.
Total Count: 33 (1 full size,7 deluxe samples, 25 samples)
- Juice Beauty Antioxidant Serum and Nutrient Moisturizer sample (.07 oz each). This came with a third sample, I think it was a cleanser, that I already used
- Dr. Brandt Do Not Age sample (.034 oz)
- DERMA Doctor KP Duty sample (.1 oz)
- Caudelie Vinosource Moisturizing Sorbet sample (.06 oz) x 2
- Caudelie Vinosource Overnight Recovery Oil sample (.03 oz)
- Caudelie Vino Perfect Complexion Correcting Radiance Serum sample (.06 oz)
- Evologie Stay Clear Cream deluxe sample (.33 oz). I think I got this in a Birchbox and I’m sort of confused how to use it. Which is probably why I never have!
- SK-II Cellumination Cream sample (.08 oz)
- Lancome Advanced Genefique Youth Activating Serum sample (.03 oz)
- Elizabeth Arden Visible Difference Optimizing Skin Serum and Skin Balancing Lotion (no size on the package but they are probably .03 oz each)
- Philosophy Full of Promise Treatment Serum sample (.07 oz). My Mom loves this stuff but I think that might be because Oprah had it on her favorite things list one year. I wish I was joking.
- Murad Intensive Wrinkle Reducer full size (1 oz). As a disclaimer, I didn’t buy this. My ex-boyfriend worked for Murad and I used to get a TON of this kind of stuff for free. I am pretty sure there’s an expiration date on it, so I figured I would use it up. I am about 2/3 through the bottle. I am not sure if it’s working. I don’t really have wrinkles yet so maybe that’s why? Or maybe it’s expired. Another reason to stop hoarding beauty products!
- Murad Intensive Wrinkle Reducer deluxe sample (.24 oz). I might give this to my Mom next time I fly home to Denver. She will probably see more results.
- Murad Rapid Collagen Infusion sample (.125 oz)
- Murad Acne and Wrinkle Reducer sample (.125 oz). So apparently I’m not the only one with overlapping acne/wrinkle years! Hallelujah! I am going to have to use this one once I get through the Intensive wrinkle reducer.
- Bliss Triple Oxygen+C Energizing Cream sample (.07 oz)
- Embryolisse Lait-Creme Concentre sample (.17 oz). I’ve used about half of this sample and it is incredibly rich. I will definitely pull this out the next time my skin is drying out
- Perricone MD Cold Plasma sample (.07 oz)
- Meaningful Beauty Glowing Serum deluxe sample (.27 oz). Maybe this will make me look like Cindy Crawford?
- Dr. Jart Ceramidin Cream deluxe sample and sample (neither have the amount on them)
- Jack Black Protein Booster Serum sample (no amount listed)
- Air Repair Rescue Balm sample (no amount listed)
- Whish Correcting Gel deluxe sample (.75 oz). This is another Birchbox product that I threw in a drawer and never thought of again. What exactly is a correcting gel? Also, the packaging looks like something from the 70s. The product in general seems all around odd to me, but maybe I will be surprised once I actually use it.
- Frownies Eye Gels (1 set). This is a Birchbox product. Apparently these can be reused, but you have to buy Rose Water Hydrator to re-moisten then put them in the fridge. I honestly don’t get puffy eyes that much. Should I buy the hydrator? Ideally I’d like to try them first, but then I won’t have the hydrator to keep them moist if I do like them! First world dilemmas!
- Ole Henrikson Ultimate Lift Eye Gel deluxe sample (.5 oz). After going through my eye creams, I realized this one is going to expire soon so I started using it about a month ago. It’s about 60% full. I honestly can’t tell if this is doing anything so far. It’s a gel, which feels nice, but it also doesn’t feel as hydrating as a cream would. We will see how I feel after I’ve finished the jar- probably another 1-2 months.
- Caudelie Premier Cru Eye Creme sample (.03 oz)
- Origins GinZing Eye Creme deluxe sample (.5 oz)
- Philosophy Renewed Hope in a Jar Eye sample (.1 oz)
- Ole Henrikson Total Truth Eye Creme sample (.1 oz)
I actually didn’t think I had that many serums and eye creams until I did this inventory. Wowzer. So I am thinking that I really only need a serum, a night cream and an eye cream. I have a lot of work to do to whittle this down.
Goal: 3 nighttime products
These posts actually take a long time to do, so I will stop here. But, it is definitely giving me a new perspective on the amount of STUFF I have. Next I will do my BB/CC cremes.