So I am realizing that the more I watch YouTube makeup collection videos, the more “reasonable” mine seems. Take my highlighter collection for example: 3 full sized products and 2 deluxe samples. Compared to the drawers and drawers full of products I’ve seen on YouTube, this seems puny. But do we really need more than a couple of these? Don’t answer that. Also keep in mind that I have highlighters in other face pallets, so this is just the highlighter in a package by itself. Not sure where to put the face pallets- in a category of their own? Hashtag makeuphoarderproblems. Here is what I have:
1. YSL Touche Eclat Radiant Touche $42. I started using this stuff after my Mom recommended it to me a couple of years ago and I fell in love. This is probably my 4th repurchase. I have seen some reviews on YouTube that this isn’t dramatic enough. It is definitely subtle. But honestly, I don’t need to be going to work looking like JLo everyday. This is a natural looking, everyday highlight. It is ridiculously expensive, but I for some reason YSL (and Chanel) is a lot cheaper in Europe. I travel to Europe pretty regularly for work, so I stock up in the duty free stores whenever I go. I think I paid around $30 for this tube.
2. Benefit Watts Up deluxe sample $33 for the full size. This is the only highlighter in my collection that I’m sort of meh about. I don’t hate it, but I definitely don’t reach for it often. It’s shimmery and I don’t love the formulation as I feel like it’s hard to blend and doesn’t give the most natural look. I’ve used up a couple deluxe sizes of this. I feel like this product shows up in every Sephora kit and beauty subscription box. I wouldn’t purchase a full size.
3. BECCA X Jaclyn Hill Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed in Champagne Pop $38. I am not sure why I bought this, honestly. I already have a shimmery highlighter and I don’t use them that often- definitely not everyday. I have used this a few times and do like it. The BECCA formulation is really nice.
4. BECCA Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed in Opal deluxe Sample $38 for the full size. I got this in the recent Bronze Bares All kit from Sephora. This is a great shade. I wear it when I go out at night and it makes my skin radiant without emphasizing pores the way shimmer can. If I ever get through my other shimmery highlights, I would purchase the full size.
5. Burberry Fresh Glow Luminous Highlighting Powder in Nude Radiance 01 $52 but it’s been discontinued. I heard about this from Tarababyz on YouTube. It was limited edition or it’s been discontinued, so I had to search for it, but there are sites out there still selling it (at a discount, no less!). I love this product. LOVE. It is really light and pigmented, but blends easily to give a nice, everyday highlight. It is matte/satin finish so this product is amazing if you don’t want shimmer. I either use this or the YSL Touche Eclat on a daily basis. I may even buy a back up since it is discontinued.
I did buy the BECCA Shimmering Skin Perfector Opal in the liquid form last weekend at the Sephora Rouge event, but I decided to return it (unopened). I can actually get that product really cheap through Verizon Rewards. And I don’t really need it at the moment.
So that’s it. Seems pretty reasonable, right? I don’t really have a need to cut down on the number of highlights I have, but I am not going to be adding to my collection either. I think I will try to use up the Watts Up and then keep the collection to 4 products.
Goal: 4 highlighters