I have a pretty good new collection of empties this month, including some more makeup. As I have been focusing on my deluxe samples and stuff that is partially used, I’ve been able to get through quite a bit. I also have an Ipsy subscription, which means I’m always getting new samples. I have been pretty good about not buying new stuff, though I’ve bought a few things here and there- so I’ve been more on a “low buy” not a true “no buy.” A no buy would be REALLY hard for me. But I’m definitely being more thoughtful about what I am buying, instead of just automatically snatching things up without thinking about whether I trult need it. Progress!
Here is what I used up over the last month:
As you can see, most of the skincare stuff I got through this month is samples. But, that’s the majority of my skincare collection. I have made a lot of progress in getting through samples. In fact, I got through almost all my cleansers. I still have a ton of sunscreens though. First world problems.
1. Fresh Soy Face Cleanser sample (.13 oz)
2. Ole Henrikson Protect the Turth SPF 50+ Sunscreen deluxe sample ( .5 oz). This stuff is AMAZING! First, it smells like lemon cake. Secondly, it is SO moisturizing. It has the perfect consistency between liquid and cream. Love this stuff and it is high on my list of products that I would repurchase as my everyday sunscreen.
3. Jack Black Deep Dive Glycolic Facial Cleanser sample (.07 oz)
4. Jack Black Protein Skin Serum sample (.07 oz)
5. Perricone MD Cold Plasma sample (.07 oz)
6. Lancome Advanced Genifique Youth Activating Concentrate sample (.03 oz)
7. First Aid Beauty Skin Rescue Deep Cleanser with Red Clay deluxe sample (1.0 oz). This was a nice cleanser, but it is a little too drying for my skin. If you have oily skin, this would be great, though.
8. Murad Rapid Collagen Infusion sample (.125 oz)
9. Do Not Age with Dr. Brandt transforming pearl serum sample (.034 oz)
10. Fresh Rose Face Mask sample (.13 oz). This was a really nice mask. I would describe it as calming and soothing. I would definitely consider repurchasing again.
11. Garnier Nourishing Cleansing sample (.16 oz)
12. Murad Daily Moisture Charge SPF 30 sample (.13 oz)
13. Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser deluxe sample (1.0 oz). I got this in a Birchbox a loooooooog time ago. It is one of those cleansers that you put on dry skin, then massage off with a damp muslin cloth (which came with the cleansers). I didn’t love it. First, it smelled very strongly of eucalyptus, which I don’t like. Some people love that smell, but I’m not one of them. It was nice and moisturizing, but I am used to using my Clarisonic and I didn’t feel like this cleaned off my makeup as well. I would not repurchase.
14. Whish Correcting Gel deluxe sample (.75 oz). This was a weird product. It had a very strong, sweet scent. One of the main ingredients is manuka honey and it definitely had a honey/gel-like consistency. It felt very sticky. It also seemed to sit on the face and not absorb really well. It did leave my face soft though. I would most likely not repurchase, I prefer creamier night time moisturizers.
15. Dr. Jart Ceramidin Cream deluxe sample (no size listed). This stuff is extremely thick. If you have any dry patches or extremely dry skin, this would be amazing. Other than that, I think it would be too heavy to use every day. I would not repurchase.
16. Generic Cetaphil full sized (16 oz). As I’ve said in many posts, this was my go-to cleanser for a long time when I was struggling with acne. It is really amazing, especially for the price. You could use this everyday and it would take ~8 months to get through this bottle. The brand-name Cetaphil is about $12 for the bottle and the generic (I can’t tell a difference between them) is about $8. It is awesome. I will definitely repurchase at some point in the future.
17. Clinique Moisture Surge Face Spray full size (4.2 oz). I bought this product on the recommendation of Tarababyz from YouTube. I used it to prep my face before my makeup and to soften my look if it was too powdery. I did like it. It had a nice fine mist, and left my skin feeling hydrated. I am currently using the Smashbox Primer Water and so far I like this one better. What other face mists should I try? Want to try Mac Fix+ but need recommendations for others.
18. Radical Skin Care Age Defying Exfoliating Pads sample (15 pads). I got these as a GWP at Sephora earlier this year and finally got around to using them. They were great! You use them after cleansing at night and they act like a low level peel I think? They definitely tingled the skin. If you have any irritated skin, you can feel it. I can imagine it would be quite painful back when I had my acne struggles. But with the normal skin I have now, it tingled, but it was nothing painful. It definitely made my skin look fresh and exfoliated any dry skin I had. II loved this product and would repurchase.
19. Caudelie Vinoperfect Radiance Serum sample (.06 oz).
20. Vasanti Brighten Up! Enzymatic Face Rejuvenator deluxe sample (.71 oz). This is another Birchbox sample. It was okay. I definitely prefer the Kate Somerville exfoliator to this one. I would not repurchase.
21. Origins VitaZing SPF 15 Energy Boosting Moisturizer with Mangosteen deluxe sample (.5 oz). I LOVE THIS PRODUCT! It is so moisturizing (very similar in texture to the Ole Henrikson sunscreen) and it also has a nice cooling effect. It isn’t tingly, just a nice coolness to the skin. It feels amazing. I guess that’s the mangosteen? I have another deluxe sample of this stuff that I’m dying to use but I am trying to finish a few sunscreens that are about to expire first. When I get through a bunch of my sunscreens, this will be the first product I repurchase.
22. Boscia Self-Defense Vital Antioxidant Moisture Broad Spectrum SPF 30 deluxe sample (.5 oz). This had a nice texture and I generally like every Boscia product I try. But I just like the Origins and Ole Henrikson sunscreens so much more, so I would not repurchase.
I also finished a good number of makeup products this month- YAY! I have ahad a few of these forever, so I was really happy to be done with them (Bare Minerals mineral veil, I am looking at you). If you are following my project pan, you’ll also notice I finished my first product!
1. Josie Maran Argan Triple Volume Mascara deluxe sample (.14 oz). I got this in some sort of Sephora kit….maybe the Glitz and Glam from a couple of years ago? Anyway, I was not looking forward to using it for some reason (hence why I hoarded it for so long) but it was actually nice! I generally like to layer a volumizing mascara with a lengthening one, which is what I did with this. It had a nice texture, and a fat wand that was great for getting thick lashes. I don’t think Josie Maran makes this anymore, so I can’t repurchase even if I didn’t have 40 mascaras to get through first!
2. Dior Diorshow Maximizer Lash Plumping Serum deluxe sample (.13 oz). I got this as a 100 point Sephora perk. I actually used a full sized one in the past and I can’t remember if I loved it but I definitely didn’t hate it. This time around I liked it. I feel like it does definitely give you fuller lashes than mascara alone does. However, it is pretty expensive to purchase a full size and I feel like there has to be a cheaper option. Let me know if you know of one.
3. Smashbox Bronze Lights Bronzer in Sunset Matte deluxe sample (.13 oz). I can’t remember where I got this, but I’ve had it forever, so I wanted to use it up. I did like it. It’s matte, not too dark and blended out nicely. I wish it was every so slightly more cool toned, but it definitely wasn’t a deal breaker. While I liked this product, I have other bronzers that I like a lot more, so I won’t repurchase.
4. The Balm Blush in Hot Mama! deluxe sample (.035 oz). This is another Birchbox sample. I really liked this blush. The color is very flattering on my skin and it blends out really well. I have heard this is a dupe for Nars Orgasm. I have used up a deluxe size of Orgasm in the past and it is very similar. I would definitely consider repurchasing, though I have a bunch of similar toned blushes to get through first.
5. Giorgio Armani Fluid Sheer sample (.16 oz). I got this as part of a GWP Giorgio Armani set Sephora was giving away recently. I didn’t like it. Apparently, it works like a liquid luminizer. You can mix it with your foundation or apply it first and wwear foundation on top for a glowy look. This product was way too shimmery though. I don’t think it made me look naturally glowing. I looked like a disco ball. I will not purchase a full size.
6. Bare Minerals Mineral Veil jumbo size (.84 oz). I have used BM mineral veil forever. I think it is really underrated. People are obsessed with the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders, but honestly, I think this is just as good. Since I used this up, I have been using my ambient lighting pallet and I think they really give the same glowy effect. A loose powder is of course a lot less convenient, but I they have a pressed version now. I got a deluxe sample size in a recent kit I purchased at Ulta. I am going to see how I like that, but either way I will be repurchasing one of the two formats of this product.
6. Tarte The Sculptor Contouring Face Slenderizer in Park Ave Princess deluxe sample (.06 oz). This is my first Project 10 Pan completion! I got it in the recent Sephora Bronze Bares all kit. It is a really nice consistency, very easy to use and blends sooooooo easily for a natural look. The downsides are that it is too orange for my taste and you actually go through the product very quickly. If you use it everyday, you would use up a full size product in 4-6 weeks. It takes months to use up the powder version of a product even when using everyday. So this is an expensive option. I am going to try other stick forms of bronzers that are better shades as I did like apply the product that way. It makes it really easy!
7. Urban Decay Primer Potion in Eden and Sin samples (no size listed). I like Urban Decay eye primers. And I feel like they come as samples with so many different things, that I’ve actually never had to buy a full size. I usually use the RMS Uncoverup Concealor in 01 as my daily eyeshadow base, but I would pruchase a full size of this product. I’d probably get the anti-aging formula as that is the best for my dry lids.
I am not as big of a product junkie on my hair. My hair routine is pretty low-maintenance, actually. About once a month, I f=go get a blowout at Drybar. It’s only $35 and my hair looks so much better than when I try to blow dry it. In between blowouts, I wash my hair every three days and let it air dry. In between washes, I use dry shampoo, especially after working out in the morning before work. I also use a shine mist and sometimes a texturizer if I want a beachy look. I spend about 5 minutes on my hair on average each day. Thank god, because it gives me more time to play with makeup. Ha! Anyway, these are my hair product empties for August.
1. Drybar Detox Dry Shampoo full size (3.5 oz). This was the first dry shampoo I ever used and it is amazing. I love the smell (every Drybar product has the same smell). Disclaimer: some people hate the smell, so just be aware. And it is really great at absorbing oil and adding lift to the roots. However, I saw Kathleen Lights from YouTube talking about the Battiste dry shampoos, so I tried that. It is about $8/bottle vs. $22 for a smaller bottle from Drybar. I have to say, while I do like the Drybar product more, the Battiste dry shampoo is pretty darn good. And given that I go through almost a bottle of this stuff a month, I am going to buy the Battiste a lot more often from now on.
2. Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray deluxe sample (1.7 oz). I got this in some kind of kit (are you noticing a pattern yet? I love Sephora kits!). I loved it. It added the perfect amount of texture to my ends and extended If you saw my recent Sephora Haul, you’ll remember that I purchased the Bumble and Bumble Surf Infusion spray which is similar to this, but according to the sales woman at Sephora it is less drying.